Thursday, July 21, 2005

What thought process led to this travesty?

Normally, I let media organizations make their own screwups, but one has really got me pissed. What the Hell was ESPN2 thinking when they gave Stephen A. Smith his own TV show? This is the most irritating commentator in the entire sports world. Most of the time when someone comes on that I don't care for, I ignore the TV until they go away. Not Stephen A. Smith. I'm diving for the remote to either mute his ass or change the channel. He's loud and obnoxious and not in a good way. He says stupid shit all the time. The ad for his show was him basically saying that it doesn't matter who the Patriots lose, as long as they have Tom Brady, it's enough. Yeah, right. Swap him with Tim Rattay in San Francisco last year, and I bet the Patriots still have a better record. All they need, my ass. Brady's a good quarterback, but that team was stocked with talent. Only the Bengals are so stupid that they say "Hey, what ingredient are the Patriots missing? Oh, a running back? Let's give them Corey Dillon." It will be interesting to see how they handle the offseason losses this year.

But I digress. Smith has always talked out of his ass. The worst segment in ESPN history was the "Old School/New School" bit that he had with Skip Bayless. I guess a black guy in his mid-30s is naturally "New School". Actually, I'm not real sure what "New School" connotates. I suspect "hip and cool" is how he thinks of it. Moronic commentators who kiss ass with the big name athletes seems to be the actual practice. Normally in these "Crossfire" type pairings, you watch because you generally favor one side. Not with those two bozos. Half the time neither could make a coherent argument. And when they would, it was usually something stupid. I would just as soon watch monkeys throw shit at each other. Now Bayless is a co-host of that lousy ass "Cold Pizza" show, and Smith gets his own run. I guess having viewers is not a top priority for ESPN2.

No comments: