Monday, July 25, 2005

Wedding Crashers

I haven't seen the movie yet. Probably won't see it in the theaters, but I'm sure I'll catch it when it comes out on DVD. I've always been a big fan of low brow humor and Christopher Walken. Plus, I like Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson, and fortunately, the overly annoying Ben Stiller isn't even listed as a cameo as he so often is in their movies. Really, does he have the most extensive collection of blackmail pictures in Hollywood? How do you become a comedic actor without being funny? But I digress. I really have to question a couple of things that movie did marketing wise. The first was a promotional gimmick where you could print out a paper purple heart medals to impress women you're trying to pick up. What the Hell could they have possibly been thinking? Are they so out of touch with reality that they completely missed the Purple Heart controversy that arose during the Presidential race? I wonder if there might be some sensitivity about encouraging people to fraudulently use a Purple Heart as a pickup tool.

The other thing was John McCain. What the Hell was John McCain doing in that movie? I'll be candid. I don't like John McCain mainly because he seems to have lost all of his principles. Somewhere along the line his constituency became the New York Times editorial page where he is the only Republican they love. Actually, I do have to give him some credit. He figured out the Times editors are so stupid that they see him as a "maverick" for arbitrarily opposing President Bush on some key things. Yet, they constantly overlook the fact that he supported invading Iraq, and he thinks Roe Vs. Wade should be overturned which are antithetical to two of the Times' biggest issues. But I digress again. The big problem with McCain being in Wedding Crashers is the fact that once upon a time John McCain held hearings on Hollywood films and bitched out some movie executives for making too many R-rated films. By the way, for those not in the know, Wedding Crashers is R-rated. To tell the truth, this is exactly why I don't like John McCain. He pontificates on one side, but still likes to think of himself as being cool, so he goes out and has a cameo in something he pontificated against. "Hollywood shouldn't be making these movies, but as long as they do, why not take a role?" It's kind of like Al Gore letting Twisted Sister play at his campaign stops.

No comments: