Thursday, July 07, 2005

Good-bye Paden

I was recently watching Silverado (actually as I drink bourbon & coke and type this) , and a question formed in my booze addled mind. Outside of this movie, has there been another really good Western made in the last 20 years that didn't have Clint Eastwood in it? Eastwood had Pale Rider and Unforgiven (one of the best ever). Tombstone and Open Range (it did have Robert Duvall) were good, but they certainly don't compare to non-Eastwood classics like High Noon or The Professionals from the distant past. Silverado had a good villain in Brian Dennehy. Danny Glover at his best (showing I don't allow politics to interfere with my entertainment). Kevin Costner actually acted. And that midget who played the principal in Kindergarten Cop was there too. Plus, two of the most underrated actors of all time - Kevin Kline and Scott Glenn. I'm such a big Scott Glenn fan that I enjoyed Edie & Pen even though it was a chick flick with Stockard Channing and Jennifer Tilly (who didn't get nekkid or have hot deviant sex). Plus, he was in My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys, which isn't a western, but I watch it every time it's on. Best of all, Silverado had Joe Seneca who played Blind Willie Brown in Crossroads (not the Britney Spears movie that I will probably never see) with the Karate Kid. It still begs the questions - why can't they make really good westerns anymore?

No comments: