Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Stupid Horse & Other News

I can't believe that nag won the Kentucky Derby. This is embarrassing. The most prestigious horse race in the world is won by a horse who lost his last two races in ungraded stakes races at Sunland which is a crappy little track outside El Paso. His last big race was the Breeder's Cup Juvenile which he finished last. Stellar. I've said time and again that the field is just too big. The track secretary was repeatedly calling Mine That Birds connections to remind them that he had enough earnings to be in. That's pretty sad that Churchill Downs needs the entry fees so badly that they'll take the fourth place finisher of the Sunland Derby. It's really sad that POS won. It didn't run a lick in it's last race and suddenly it explodes down the stretch? Mine That Bird is the worst Derby history in history. At least in my lifetime. I thought Giacomo was bad, but at least he'd hit the board in the Santa Anita Derby before the Kentucky Derby. That's a slightly better race than the Sunland Derby.

I'm a snob about horse racing. I don't mind long shots coming in when it's a regular race, but I want the top horses to win the Derby. I saw some saying it was good for racing that a long shot won. Is it? Based on what? How did Giacomo help racing when he was a non-factor the rest of his career? I think racing would have been helped a lot more if Afleet Alex had won the Triple Crown that year. Cinderella stories are for college basketball. Now, I'm not saying a cheap horse becoming a star is a bad thing. Seattle Slew and Smarty Jones weren't expected to be much, but they were top horses going into the Derby. Not some low rent nag from the sticks.

Gee, Pennsylvania Senator Arlen Specter left the Republican Party to become a Democrat. And freely admits that it's because he can't win the Republican Party primary for his 2010 seat. Crass political pragmatism. That always goes over well with voters. And it's not the first time he switched parties just to get elected. It screws things up with the Republican filibuster attempts, but he wasn't a solid vote anyway so I'm not sorry to see his worthless ass go. I didn't need him supporting the stimulus joke to begin disliking that douchebag. I thought Republicans were stupid not to try someone else in 2004. They're looking foolish now for raising money and campaigning for him. And he's not a lock to win re-election even though Pennsylvania always trends Democratic. Mainly because I'm not sure Specter is going to even win the Democratic primary. Specter always needed a big Republican push to hold his seat, and they really had no choice but to vote for him. But what do Democratic voters owe him. The party leadership is backing him, but are the rank and file going to? Wouldn't they want someone who hasn't been a Republican Senator for the past 29 years and isn't running on the campaign slogan "My Only Principle Is I Like Being A Senator"?

An Akron strip is in trouble. For having a 14 year old stripper. Oh, and not having a licence to run a strip joint. So, if you have one of your dancers wearing a Hello Kitty g-string, wouldn't it be smart to have the rest of your paperwork in order so you don't get checked on? When Camelot West had a 14 year old stripper here in Lexington, they got busted because her mom followed her to work.

Ah, criminal masterminds. A couple of dumbasses were arrested for stealing a county truck. They got caught because they were pushing it. Because it didn't work. And stealing a working truck would be way too much work.

I am happy to announce that I am not one of the 1539 people who has the swine flu (just because I eat slop and wallow in my own filth doesn't mean I have swine flu). But I think it's apparent that it will kill us all. Just because it doesn't seem to be spreading that quickly or more lethal than regular flu is no reason to believe we can survive this. If you have a gun, use it on yourself. It will be quicker. But fortunately Kathleen Sebelius has been confirmed as Secretary of Health And Human Services which was "essential" with the swine flu running amok and making people sick. Because medical doctors with long schooling and expensive degrees need the guidance of someone whose suitability for the job was based solely on endorsing Barak Obama early.

But there is a plus to this. It means they might stop using Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano in that job. She brings a different skill set. Well, actually not. She got the job by supporting Barak Obama too. Might be why I find most cabinet secretaries to be useless. Sure Napolitano is doing a bang-up job at Homeland Security. Her department releases a report telling cops to keep an eye out for returning vets joining radical groups. She defends it by pointing out that Timothy McVeigh was a vet and got his training in the Army. Yeah. And is the only good example she can come up with to be suspicious of a whole group. Who committed his crime 14 years ago, and if I think about it, making a fertilizer based car bomb isn't part of standard army training. Oh, Napolitano is concerned about foreign terrorists too. She wants to guard the Canadian border as much as the Mexican one because the 9/11 terrorists entered the country through there. Except they didn't. But don't worry, she's not really that worried about the southern border either. She's of the opinion that illegal immigration isn't against the law even though it's actually in the penal code, and that might be why it's called "illegal immigration". Yeah, she's an idiot.

Here is one guy who is willing to be sent back. In fact, he wants to go to Mexico. So much that he ran naked down the street so he'd be arrested and shipped home. Yeah, I say let that one go.

Love the call of censorship. Especially since it's not censorship if it's someone turning your painting around while they're teaching in the art room. Especially when they are teaching children and your painting is a 6 foot by 7 foot picture of a gerbil jacking off. I don't want anyone telling me the print of Dogs Shooting Pool over my dining room table isn't art. You can call something art, but I think a serious art student painting a rodent playing with itself is an indication of that I shouldn't take that art department too seriously.

Hmmmmm. "Leading Chinese dissident claims freedom of speech worse than before Olympics." I wonder if anyone out there thought it was a bad idea to give the games to a dictatorship. Let me think.........

Hey, spanking can make a couple closer. Especially if handcuffs are involved.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm extremely offended that you would liken the horse that created/earned HIS OWN victory at the KY Derby a POS. Gezzz...it must be hard to impress you. This athlete has done nothing but train hard and the only thing you can do is put him down. Shame on you. You must still be crying over your lost bet.

Sherman said...

Yes, that must be why since I've never lost money on a horse race before. Well, then that athlete also underachieved mightily the rest of this year probably costing people money who were expecting this type of ability out of him every time he ran. But go right ahead and bet your life savings on Mine That Bird to win the Preakness because I'm sure he's training just as hard now.

Anonymous said...

Your so smart. Please forgive my ignorance. I'm impressed you can see the future. Are you married? Good job? I can only imagine how wonderful your life will be since your such an over achiever.

Sherman said...

Glad to see that you recognize your limitations, Anonymous. As for me, what my job is doesn't matter. I'll just say that I didn't half-ass it for the past 6 months and then get a fluke promotion to board of directors just because they had a spot to fill.