Saturday, April 29, 2006

Football, Football, Football

Thank God for this week. Usually the post March Madness sports scene looks like crap. I do get Keeneland and the Triple Crown, but unfortunately the races go quickly (and I lose money on them). I do catch some NBA playoffs, but since the Jazz haven't been in for a few years, I don't care too much. I would rather watch my toenails grow than watch baseball. I've been watching quite a bit of NFL Europe and Arena football which is always good fun, because I can finally find out what happened to Glenn Pakulak who used to punt the Hell out of the ball for UK. But this week turned it up a notch. Started off with UL's spring football game on Friday and will end with the NFL Draft this weekend. I get to watch the future of my favorite college team, and then comes a two day orgy of football highlights with the possibility of Mel Kiper getting into a pissing match with a team executive like when he said the Colts drafting Trev Alberts was a joke. Gotta go with Mel on that one.

Love the draft because it's so funny to see all the first rounders being talked up while guessing which ones will be busts this year (I'm betting Jimmy Williams from Virginia Tech). Every year several "players of the future" flop. Actually, I look at the three biggest names in the draft, and I wouldn't bet on any of them being a top NFL player. Reggie Bush is exciting to watch, but I'm not sure he can last as an every down back. If he can't be an every down back, you've got another Dante Hall, not another Gale Sayers. Nothing against Hall, but would anyone draft him in the first round? Rumor is that the Texans have made a deal with NC State defensive end Mario Williams which means Bush was probably asking too much money. Contrary to speculation, the questions about his parents living in a mansion on an agent's dime probably played no role in his drop. After all, why do the Texans care if Bush was violating NCAA rules? However, I think it's a good move for Houston, although probably not too popular with the home folks. But so what? I think Williams will improve the Texans more than Bush.

Speaking of fun to watch, Vince Young certainly has the pizzazz. I loved watching him play in college, but the NFL is a whole different game. The closest approximation to Young has always been Michael Vick who has filled the highlight reels but he certainly hasn't been that effective. Strangely enough the NFL managed to hold their playoffs last year without Vick. Running against college kids is one thing, but in the NFL, it can get you hurt. When Vick broke his leg, the deed wasn't done by a Ray Lewis or Michael Urlacher. It was Adalius Thomas. Not so primetime. The other question about Young is can he learn to throw? Vick really hasn't. Young's got a good arm, but he also pretty much played out of a shotgun and has a funky motion. Still, I think he's got the most (cliche alert) UPSIDE. If he can learn to throw, there's no limit to how good he can be. Unfortunately for him, he'll probably be drafted by a crap team that will throw him out early and he'll never develop. A shame.

The guy I don't see much upside in is Matt Leinart. Some are hoping that he's the next Carson Palmer, but that's crap. I don't think he's near as good as Palmer. In fact, I find irony in the fact that the Jets are reportedly hoping Leinart falls to them with the fourth pick, because the guy he reminds me of the most is Chad Pennington. Accurate arm, but average arm strength. That means he could have a good career, but I don't see him developing into an elite quarterback. Even before his arm was hanging by a thread Pennington was never what I saw as a top tier quarterback. I found it interesting that when asked why he should be a high pick, Leinart basically said because he won the Heisman and only lost two games in his college career. That's slightly better than Jason White who I think had three losses and won the Heisman. He didn't even get drafted. How impressed should I be about Leinart when he was quarterbacking the most talent stocked team in the league? Think of it this way. I'm not sure Jay Cutler is a better quarterback, and if he was put on USC that they would have still only lost two games, but I bet they still win a bunch. Put Leinart on Vanderbilt, and he might have gotten them that extra game to make a bowl last year, but I wouldn't bet money on it. One thing I would bet on is that Leinart wouldn't have finished with only two losses.

No comments: