Sunday, February 01, 2009

The Super Bowl

Yes, it was a great Super Bowl. Obviously, the Steelers winning was the most important part. However, it was also a really good game going down to the wire. Since I like several players on the Arizona side, I wasn't unhappy with such a close game. And adding money to success, I won the pool by picking Pittsburgh to win with a game total of 45 points (no going over). No one was in between. 65 bucks is 65 bucks.

But let us compare my predictions with what actually happened. I was pretty good. The Steelers did win. It was closer than I thought, but Hines Ward wasn't much of a factor except one big catch early. And Ben Roethlisberger played like crap until the last drive (I won't be calling him Big Game Ben anytime soon). And Kurt Warner and Larry Fitzgerald were great for Arizona. Fitzgerald did nothing to make me think there is a better receiver in league than him. Warner played well enough to make me think Arizona has a nice window of opportunity here and he should be re-signed. Pittsburgh's defense was good early but slipped a little late. I did miss on Willie Parker being able to run against the Cardinals. He had a few good runs, but he also lost a lot of yards when he got caught behind the line. But Santonio Holmes did justify his high draft status. Roethlisberger has two Super Bowl rings and two mediocre-to-bad games. Holmes saved his ass. That touchdown catch to win the game was incredible. In real time, I did not think he could have gotten both feet in. In slow motion, he did. And I was sweating bullets late in that game.

No comments: