Monday, August 15, 2005

What reality spawned these shows?

I had never planned to write about reality shows. I don't watch them but I don't find them somehow offensive. The only ones I like are the parodies of other reality shows (i.e. My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance). I just think television has shown itself completely incapable of producing good shows. There are so many crap ideas for television shows that good shows like Law & Order and C.S.I. both have two spinoffs, and all the spinoffs suck. Actually, I can't really say that about C.S.I.: New York. C.S.I.: Miami was so bad that I refused to watch the New York version. Since most non-reality television shows pretty much suck anyway, I understand why networks want to put reality shows on. They're cheap to produce even if you do give out a big prize, because you don't have to pay actors. Why shell out more money for a bad sitcom when you don't have to? Still, I feel compelled to comment on a couple of them that I haven't watched (saw ads), but the premises seem really bad. The first is the show to find a new lead singer for INXS. Now, I liked INXS back in the 80s. I liked them going back to their first hit, "The One Thing", but they haven't been relevant since about 1988. Plus, the main source of the bands popularity was lead singer Michael Hutchence who either killed himself or died in a bizarre sex act. What a great friggin' idea. Let's wait 16 years after anyone would care and then have a contest to replace the only irreplaceable part of a band. Why didn't they just hire Gary Cherone? I'm sure he's available. Yet, somehow this isn't the worst idea for a reality show. I saw an ad for a show called Fat Chance which is apparently a beauty contest for heavy-set women. And I use heavy-set politely. It's going to crown one of them "Ms. F.A.T." which stand for fabulous and thick. Who the Hell is the target audience for that? Is this some kind of self-esteem thing? Beauty contests portray an ideal. I'm a fat guy, but I certainly don't think it's an ideal that anyone should aspire to. It's certainly not healthy. In fact, I think it's a bad idea to try to convince people that it's OK to be that big. And these girls aren't just overweight. They are really big.

No comments: