Thursday, July 03, 2008

Independence Day

Ah, another day off from work. This time to celebrate the adoption of the Declaration of Independence by the Continental Congress which was two days after Independence was actually declared on July 2, 1776. But we don't celebrate the 2nd of July because, well, someone forgot. It was July 3, 1777 before someone thought about it. So, they did it the next day and July 4 stuck. It's always interesting to look back at the signers because while the old email exaggerated the hardships faced by them, it certainly wouldn't have been good for them if the British had won. Plus, you also find out about the less notable signers. One was named Button and another was Mr. Whipple. The Declaration was primarily written by Thomas Jefferson, but those of us who watched Ben And Me know that Amos Mouse gave him the beginning of it.

So, what to do this day? It's supposed to rain most of the day which means moving from the bed to the couch seems like the best idea. Too bad it's not like Memorial Day where classic war movies run all day. Although TCM is running Alfred Hitchcock movies all day, I'm not sure I should watch. After all, he was British. I think part of the problem is there aren't too many movies connected to this holiday. Considering I would have to throw National Treasure in since it deals with the Declaration, I think that shows how few there are. And I don't think any channel is carrying that. I'm not going to watch Independence Day because I prefer to kill my brain cells with alcohol. I usually avoid musicals so 1776 is out. And I've already seen Spirit of Seventy Sex. I really can't think of any other movie that fits. So, I might just watch Rocky take down some commie (with a bad overdub).

No comments: