Saturday, October 22, 2005

World Series

Well, the World Series starts tonight, and I'm really looking forward to flipping over to check the score every 20-30 minutes while watching the Auburn vs LSU game or Penn State vs Illinois or possibly Oregon State vs UCLA. I still can't get too excited about baseball. If there's nothing else on, I'll have it on in the background, but I really don't care. I'm just sick to death of the stupidity that reporters and columnists show when writing about baseball this year. Saint Louis won a game on a ninth inning home run to pull their series with Houston to 3 games to 2. Even though Houston had the three wins, every pundit or sportswriters were now acting like Houston didn't have a chance. Do they think these guys are so fragile that one homerun is going to kill them? I realize Houston was in the same situation last year and lost the NLCS, but come on. What does that have to do with anything? Last year they went into game six with some guy I never heard of. This year they had 20 game winner Roy Oswalt who had already shut down the Cardinals in the NLCS, so why would I not give the edge to Houston in that case?

I spent some time trying to decide who I want to win the Series. I don't have anything against anyone on the White Sox. I don't have anyone on the White Sox that I really like either. I do like Jeff Bagwell and Craig Biggio on the Astros. So, normally, I would pull for them, but I won't. Because they have one of my least favorite players in Roger Clemens. I didn't like him when he played for the Red Sox. I was disinterested when he played for the Blue Jays. I hated him when he played for the Yankees. So, there is no way I can root for him to win another series. If he pitches well (or pitches poorly but they win), I'll have to read another set of stupid articles talking about "adding to the legend" of Clemens. This morons already did it once when they were talking about him when he pitched three relief inning s against the Braves in that 18 inning game. One wrote how he pitched the three innings on two days rest. What a load. He pitched on the sixth and the ninth so it was three days. Plus, he was shelled in his outing on the sixth and only finished five innings. Am I supposed to be impressed that he pitched eight innings in three days?

I've been hoping for years, and maybe one day it will happen, but right now, sports journalism (I use that term loosely) is so baseball centric that I have to put up with this kind of crap.

No comments: